The usual crowd gathered chez Brian’s on October 18 to explore Italian wines with an emphasis on Piedmont. Many wines posted and the opinions seemed to be a lot more varied than usual. Of course, the food was sensational as always. The liver duck mousse in particular was so good, I can practically still taste it. Here are the wines. I kept the notes very short.
- 2006 J. Hofstätter Pinot Nero Alto Adige – Südtirol Meczan – Italy, Trentino-Alto Adige, Alto Adige, Alto Adige – Südtirol
Simple, earthy, funky, sour cherry, light bodied, decent cheap quaffer
- 2000 Mastroberardino Irpinia Naturalis Historia – Italy, Campania, Irpinia
Big, muscular, tannic, dark chocolate, coffee, blackberry, leather, very multifaceted, very good
- 2003 Elio Altare Langhe Barbera Vigna Larigi – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC
100% Barbera, very sweet, very modern, candied, cherries, too much oak, not a fan
- 1996 Poderi Colla Barbaresco Roncaglie – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
Fresh, earthy, light-medium body, mushrooms, autumnal, tannic, focused
- 1999 Paitin di Pasquero-Elia Barbaresco Sori Paitin – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
Tannic, more modern style, slightly raisiny, slightly stewy, muddled
- 2003 Albino Rocca Barbaresco Vigneto Brich Ronchi – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
Most tannic of trio, mushrooms, rose petals, plum, baking soda, dark, almost Barolo-like in style
- 2001 Mauro Veglio Barolo Castelletto – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Modern style, wood, tar, roasted coffee, plum, dark berry, still very primary
- 2001 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo Cannubi – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Primary, Black and blue berries, licorice, roses, traditional style. Very good.
- 2001 Vigna Rionda – Massolino Barolo – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Fresh, seems high alc, thin fruit, better on its own than with food
- 1978 Pio Cesare Barolo Riserva – Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
Lovely palate. Wet autumn leaves, forest floor, mushrooms, still amazingly vibrant fruit, perfect balance, nose was off, told that smell dissipated.
Thanks to Brian and all those who generously brought food. I unfortunately missed the flight with old Gattinara’s (1965 and 1968), but there’s always a next time.